Friday, March 7, 2014

Quote of the day

"His tax-gatherers crushed rich and poor alike; the wealth of a looted kingdom poured into Tarantia, which became less like the capital of a realm than the garrison of conquerors in a conquered land. Its merchants waxed rich, but it was a precarious prosperity; for none knew when he might be accused of treason on a trumped-up charge, and his property confiscated, himself cast into prison or brought to the bloody block." Robert E. Howard, from The Hour of the Dragon (Kindle Locations 2800-2802).

Howard's description of life under the tyrant Valerius sounds like the DC Empire.

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments

4 Comments:

At March 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Weaver said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargon_of_akkad

Sargon, Akkadian emperor, declared himself a god. Previously the Middle East was organised into city-states, ruled by kings who *were not* gods.

He might be the first recorded in history to rule a multiethnic empire.

 
At March 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM , Blogger Monte Poitevint said...

You've written on Howard before. He was a creative genius. I spent a few years reading everything I could find that he wrote, even his short stories, some never printed. He was the most popular pulp writer of his era. He was a tragic figure as well, committing suicide at the height of his career after his mother's death, and while still in his 30's, if my old memory serves me.
Sorry for getting off topic, but I'm a Howard dan.

 
At March 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM , Anonymous Weaver said...

Btw, who was the other fiction writer you like? Um, I recall his being Catholic... I don't mean Vox Popoli whom I'm sure you like too.

CS Lewis, Tolkien, and Eddison are all great.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time was alright, but it's Masonic. And I don't think I like a lot of the deeper meaning in it. There are parts of the story that are good though. He's from Charleston at least. It's sure better than Game of Thrones.

 
At March 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Old Rebel said...

Weaver,

I do enjoy Vox Day's fiction. I've done some posts on Lovecraft, though he wasn't religious. Sam Francis particularly admired Lovecraft.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home